Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation - the perfect foundation for those with oily skin

Hello lovelies!

Today I wanted to talk to you about a foundation and as some of you may know, I'm not much of a foundation person (I prefer BB creams) so before getting this particular foundation I hadn't bought or used a foundation in about 4 or 5 years. So for me to be so intrigued by a foundation that I broke my foundation-strike, it really had to be something special :) Say hello to the Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation by Hourglass.

This product really is one of a kind, it's unlike anything I've tried before. Like the name indicates it is a liquid foundation, which upon application turns into a powder finish. It sounds kind of bizarre, but it really works and the result keeps surprising me each time I use it :D

Like I mentioned before, I'm not a foundation junkie by any means, so I won't be comparing this to other foundations out there, but I will be giving you my honest opinions about the product and hopefully I'm able to give you somewhat of a detailed review that I hope will be helpful to you guys. If I leave something out of if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them in the comment section below.

The sleek packaging of the Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation by Hourglass.


Packaging

The Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation by Hourglass comes in a very elegant, sleek pump bottle that both looks and feels classy and high end. It comes in a elegant black box and the bottle is initially sealed with a screw cap, but in the box you will also find the pump to replace the screw cap with. The bottle itself is a darkish silvery gray color and it feels quite heavy so I think it might be made out of glass (so please be careful so you don't drop it and shatter it).

The foundation comes with a hygienic airless pump.


Skincare benefits

The main reason I quit using foundations and moved on to BB creams several years ago was that I didn't want to be putting stuff all over my face to just sit there all day without having it be beneficial to my skin as well in some way. I felt that BB creams were better for my skin because they had skin care benefits as well (and SPF!) and they also gave a more natural finish. Having said that though, I do realize that there are foundations out there on the market today that claim to have skin care benefits as well, but I've just been very happy with using BB creams and I've had no reason to return to foundations before. However, this particular foundation got me very intrigued and I decided to give it a chance and honestly, I'm happy I did.

This foundation is free of oil, parabens, phtalates, gluten, synthetic dyes, fragrance, nanoparticles and it is vegan friendly. It contains clinical levels of phytosystem edelweiss and lavandox, ingredients which are supposed to have both short- and long-term anti-aging properties. Whether or not the anti-aging properties really work is not really something I can give you any insight on, as I only wear this foundation on occasion as opposed to daily. I think you would really have to wear it regularly and for a longer time to be able to tell if it really did do something for your skin. All I can say is that at least it hasn't broken me out or anything and I do have rather sensitive skin.


Consistency, application and finish

The Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation starts out as a liquid foundation and the consistency is somewhat "fluffy", kind of like a mix of liquid and mousse. When applying this foundation you should work somewhat swiftly though, because it starts turning into more of a powdery consistency rather quickly. As you work it into your skin you will see and feel it morphing into something completely different than what you started with, it literally goes from liquid to powder before your eyes.

Here you can see the consistency and finish of the product. In the first picture it's just my bare hand, in the second one I have pumped out a bit of product onto my hand, in the third picture I have spread out the product and in the fourth and last picture the product has morphed into it's final powdery matte finish.

You can apply it with your fingers (just make sure your hands are completely clean first though, you don't want to be touching your face with dirty hands, ew), with a foundation brush or a stippling brush or using a sponge. I've tried all of the above and my personal favorite for applying this foundation is using a beauty blender sponge, I find this method gives the best result. Funnily though, on the Hourglass website they state that sponge application is not recommended, but I find it to be the application method that works best for me - at least at the moment - so I intend to stick with it. The only downside with sponge application (and brush application) of this product is that some amount of product will go to waste getting sucked up either into the sponge or into the brush and with the price of this product, you really don't want to waste any. Which ever style of application you decide to go with, just make sure you really work the product into your skin and blend it nicely for a better finish (and also make sure you work rather swiftly because the product will morph rather quickly).

The reason I wanted to test this foundation was because of the finish it promises (as well as the fact that it had some skin care benefits, too). The Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation has a formula that incorporates cashmere kaolinite clay, an ingredient that has great oil absorption properties - absorbing 75% of its own weight in sebum, while all the same retaining the natural moisture balance of the skin. This allows the foundation to absorb oil, camouflage imperfections and give a long-lasting, matte, velvety finish.

The foundation is oil-free and water-resistant and it is a medium to full coverage foundation. You can layer it, but I suggest you work swiftly if you do, just to make sure the layers don't dry all too much before you manage to blend them together, that way you will get a more natural finish. The Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation contains superfine treated pigments, which help you obtain a more natural finish as well, avoiding ending up with a cakey face. I will however point out that this foundation is better suited for those with normal to oily skin. If you have dry skin, I don't recommend this foundation for you, because there is a risk of the result looking cakey if you have dry skin to begin with, as the foundation would probably accentuate any dry patches you might have.

First picture: bare skin, second picture: one layer of Hourglass' Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation in the shade Porcelain (thinly) and last picture two thin layers.

In the picture above you can see what the product looks like on the skin. In the first picture I'm not wearing any makeup. As you can see, I had some problem areas after having had some breakouts. In the second picture I have applied one thin layer of Hourglass' Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation in the shade Porcelain and as you can see, it did a pretty good job at covering up the imperfections, mattifying the skin while still maintaining a rather natural look. In the last picture I have applied two thin layers and the coverage is quite good. :)

My skin isn't really oily, I have combination skin and at first I was a bit concerned that the foundation would dry my skin and I was worried that it might look strange on me, but at least in the summertime it's been great. :) I'm not quite sure if I will be able to use it in the winter or not, I got it a few months ago so I haven't worn it in the winter yet. I don't wear it on a daily basis now either (as I mentioned before I am more of a BB cream kind of girl), but I will wear it every now and then when I want a beautiful matte finish that I can count on lasting a really long time. Also, the foundation - once it has dried to its final powdery finish - feels very soft and silky on the skin. It doesn't really feel like you're wearing makeup, your face doesn't feel tight or heavy in any way.

When wearing this foundation you don't have to apply powder, but if you still do apply powder I suggest you keep it minimal because the foundation in itself already gives you a powdery finish, so if you go heavy on powdering you might end up looking like you sneezed into a flour bag. I also found that when I wear this foundation, I don't need to blot throughout the day. I even tried wearing it to work, applying it right before I went to work, then working a regular 11h shift and when I got back home and washed off my makeup about 14h after application, I STILL wasn't shiny! Absolutely remarkable! Needless to say, the staying power of this foundation is amazing! Now, I'm not saying that the foundation looked exactly the same after 14 hours, but I wasn't looking oily. My t-zone, or rather my nose, which is the area where I tend to get the most oily, was a little bit "glowy" or "dewy" looking, but not oily - and there's a huge difference! At that point, I hadn't blotted, powdered or reapplied any product. To me, that's pretty insane, especially as my job can be rather straining physically and my shifts are pretty long.

I feel this is a great foundation for days when you will be out and about and don't really have time to check or reapply your makeup, or evenings when you have an event and you want to be sure not to be looking shiny/oily. Also, I think this is a great foundation to wear when you now you will be taking lots of pictures, because it does give a beautiful matte finish and as it doesn't really contain SPF (titanium dioxide or zinc dioxide), it won't give any flash backs resulting in "moon face" when you take photos using flash. In the ingredient list it does say that the product may contain titanium dioxide and/or iron oxides, but they're not listed as ingredients per se, so the amounts ought to be rather minimal.


Colors

The Immaculate Powder Liquid Foundation by Hourglass comes in 16 different shades, ranging from the lightest "Pearl" to the darkest "Chestnut". However, I am sorry to have to say that although 16 shades does sound like a lot, the deepest shade "Chestnut" doesn't really look all too dark to me, so for those of you out there with a deeper skin tone, I'm not sure if there is a match in this range just yet.

The shade I wear is the third lightest, "Porcelain", which is a fair shade with yellow undertones. The color really does stay the same so what you see (when you first pump out the product) is what you get (once it's on your face). It doesn't really oxidize - at least not on me - so I would say it's a rather safe bet to go for the color that seems closest to your skin tone (without having to worry about oxidation and color changes).


Ingredients

The ingredients listed on Hourglass Cosmetics' website are as follows:
"Isodecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Methyl Perfluorobutyl Ether, Water, Silica, Butylene Glycol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Kaolin, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Polysilicone-11, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Decyl Glucoside, Quatemium-90 Bentonite, Propylene Carbonate, Dimethicone/Methicone Copolymer, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tribehenin, Glycerin, Leontopodium Alpinum Meristem Cell Culture, Xanthan Gum, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Lavandula Stoechas Extract"
It also says that the product "may contain (+/-): Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides."


Price and where to get it

So as you can tell, I do have a lot of great things to say about this foundation, but there are - unfortunately - some "issues" as well. The first "problem" about this foundation is the price, it really is expensive. One bottle, containing 30 ml (that's 1 oz) of product, costs $55 (around 41 euros) at Sephora and at the Hourglass Cosmetics website - and quite honestly, I think that's absolutely insane. Unfortunately, neither of these ship to Europe though (arghh, looking at you Sephora, I wish you would!!), so if you are in Europe and are looking to buy this foundation, there are sellers on eBay and Amazon who sell it and you can also purchase it at Space NK Apothecary or at Liberty London for £50, which is about 57 euros. Although the price of the product is the same at both these stores, the shipping charge is a bit cheaper at Space NK Apothecary.

This product does come with a hefty price tag and it's difficult to get a hold of here in Europe - however, it really is unlike any other product I've ever tried. So even though it does sort of make your wallet cry, it really is an exceptional product. I wouldn't buy this to use on a daily basis, just because it would be waaay to expensive, but it does kind of fall rather nicely into the "guilty pleasures / semi luxury / rarely to be bough / special occasion - makeup" category and I am glad that I have it. Whether or not I will be repurchasing it is still up for debate. Would I like to, YES, am I going to... I'm not quite sure yet. I do feel like it's an absolutely ridiculous price to pay for a bottle of foundation and as I tend to prefer BB creams over foundations anyways, I'm not sure I will be repurchasing it. But like I said before, this really is a one-of-a-kind type of product, it really does what it says it'll do and the finish really is beautiful and long-wearing, so you never know.. :)


Conclusion

All in all, if you have oily skin and you're looking for a foundation that won't leave you looking like an oil-slick by mid-day, this is definitely a product worth trying out. It really does what it says it will do and it gives a beautiful, matte finish. It's great for days when you know you will be taking a lot of pictures and for days when you need to be sure your makeup will stay looking fresh because you don't have time for touch ups. It feels good on your skin and if you apply it right it will give you a natural finish with buildable coverage. It is, however, on the pricier side and the packaging doesn't contain THAT much product. Also, it is more for those with oily, or at least normal or combination skin, so if you have dry skin this probably won't be the best match for you.

Long story short, it really is a great product, but it comes with a not so great price tag. If you do decide to try it out, feel free to share your thoughts on the product in the comment section below :)

I hope this review was helpful for you guys and I hope you have a great week! And as always, remember to smile, laugh, love and stay positive :)

Wearing the Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation.

xoxo,
Tanja


2 comments:

  1. Wow what a great review! It is pricey but i think i'll at least be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samantha!
      Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! I hope you enjoy the foundation if you end up trying it, let me know what you think about it :)
      Xoxo,
      Tanja

      Delete